It appears that my comment spammers have departed for greener pastures. Meaning that I can defer implementation of any spam counter measures. But if you’re using my Standalone Trackback and Comments, then here’s my defense strategy:
- Enable the comment RSS file. This will alert you to any new comments and allow you to remove them promptly. They target old posts in hopes of escaping notice.
- Eliminate outbound links from comments. Which is not as easy as I’d like it to be.
- Eliminate links from the comment body by setting ALLOWED_TAGS.
- Modify the comment entry form to reflect the new allowed tags by setting FORM.
- Modify the comment display to unlink the author’s website by setting BODY_FUNCTION.
- Modify the package to add comment moderation. I was thinking about eliminating outbound links in unapproved comments and allowing them in approved comments. This would call for the addition of UNAPPROVED_TAGS and UNAPPROVED_BODY_FUNCTION member variables.
After steps 1 and 2, you should end up with a comment script something like this: